San Diego Partnership Dispute Lawyers
Committed to Resolving Your Complex Business Disagreement
Partnerships are often formed with the best of intentions. Business partners come together to combine their strengths and resources to achieve a shared goal. However, no partnership is immune to conflict. Some disputes can be resolved through open and honest communication, while others may require the assistance of an experienced attorney.
Purdy & Bailey, LLP understands the challenges that may arise from clashes between business partners and how they can impact your business and your personal life. Our San Diego partnership dispute attorneys can help you navigate the legal process and work toward a favorable resolution.
What Is a Partnership Dispute?
A partnership dispute is a conflict between two or more individuals who formed a partnership or LLC. These arguments can stem from any number of topics, including disagreements regarding company processes, financial decisions, and the company's goals. Regardless of the cause, partnership disagreements can be quite complicated, and resolving them can be difficult to manage on one's own. Oftentimes, it is best to seek out legal counsel.
Common Causes of Business Partnership Disputes
Partnership disputes can arise from a wide variety of issues. In some cases, a dispute may be the result of an accumulation of smaller issues. In other cases, a single event can trigger a partnership dispute. No matter the cause, it is important to address partnership disputes as soon as possible to protect your business and your personal interests.
Common causes of partnership disputes include:
- Disagreements over the division of work and responsibilities
- Conflicts related to the division of profits and losses
- Disputes over the admission of new partners
- Disagreements related to the removal of partners
- Conflicts related to the dissolution of the partnership
- Disputes over the sale or transfer of partnership assets
These are just a handful of the problems that can cause partnership disputes. If you are involved in a disagreement with a business partner, you may want to seek legal assistance as soon as you can. The sooner you contact an attorney, the easier it will be to preserve your interests and rights.
How to Resolve a Partnership Dispute
Partnership disputes can be incredibly complex. In some cases, a dispute may be resolved through open and honest communication, but this is often not the case. In many situations, it will be necessary to involve an attorney to help resolve the dispute. There are several methods that can be used to resolve partnership disputes, including negotiation, mediation, and litigation.
Methods for resolving partnership disputes include:
- Negotiation: In many cases, a partnership dispute can be resolved through negotiation. This can involve a discussion between the partners or a meeting with attorneys. The goal of negotiation is to reach a mutually beneficial agreement that resolves the dispute. This can often be the most cost-effective way to resolve a partnership dispute.
- Mediation: Mediation is a type of alternative dispute resolution that is widely used to resolve partnership disputes. Mediation entails choosing an independent third party to help the partners settle the conflict. The mediator does not have the authority to make decisions, but they may guide the parties in recognizing the obstacles while working toward a solution. Mediation is confidential and its end result is not legally binding until all parties agree on the terms.
- Litigation: A partnership issue cannot always be resolved outside of court. When a situation like that arises, it may be beneficial to take the dispute into court and have a judge make a decision. Litigation is a lengthy and costly process, but it may be the most suitable option if the partners are unable to settle on an agreement. The court will make a ruling based on the partnership agreement and other evidence.
These are merely some of the strategies that may be taken for settling a complex partnership conflict. The best approach for your matter will be based on the aspects of your case. A professional attorney from Purdy & Bailey, LLP could help you evaluate the various options available so you can make an informed decision.
How to Prevent Partnership Disputes
Preventing a conflict between business partners is far simpler than needing to resolve one. A well-drafted partnership agreement is one of the most effective ways to avoid an issue. A partnership agreement is a legally enforceable document outlining each partner's rights and responsibilities. It also specifically defines the steps to follow if or when a disagreement develops.
A well-drafted partnership agreement should include:
- The name of the partnership
- The purpose of the partnership
- The names and addresses of each partner
- How much money each partner is contributing to the partnership
- How profits and losses will be divided
- How the partnership will be managed
- How decisions will be made
- How disputes will be resolved
- How the partnership can be dissolved
Why Choose Our Business Dispute Lawyers?
Partnership disputes can have a massive impact on your business and personal life. Our qualified business dispute attorneys in San Diego have years of experience and are ready to help you understand your legal rights and options. We are skilled negotiators and litigators, and we can help you understand the potential risks and rewards of each dispute resolution method so that you can move forward.
"I was immediately put at ease with the treatment I received and attention to detail. "John G.
“I recommend Purdy and Bailey with a 5 star review.”J.B.
“Purdy and Bailey are the real deal.”J.K.